My Dream Job

I love my job.  I really do.  I love the kids.  I love my co-workers.  I love teaching.  And I love proving that cool kids can do math.

I also love my baby.  And days off.  And though I've never, ever considered being a stay-at-home-mom, given the right job that I could do at home, I'd do just that.

Enter photography.  I've always loved taking pictures.  I remember getting my first camera in the early elementary grades.  It was purple, Mickey Mouse, and one of those cameras with the flashes that attached to the top.  There were like ten flashes and, with every photo taken, one flash burnt out.  I tried to find a picture of a similar camera online, but had no luck.

Since that very first Mickey Mouse camera, I've gone sans camera only once.  My beloved first digital camera took the brunt of tailgating accident in college.  It may have been alcohol-related, but I was heartbroken.  So I went without a camera for a few months, until Christmas when I received a new one.

Last October, I received my first DSLR camera as a Christmas Octobermas gift from my hubby.  Best. gift. ever.  Soon after, I took a photography workshop from a local photographer to learn how to use the manual settings on my camera.

And that's when I was inspired.  The instructor is this amazing photographer.  Seriously, check out her work on her company's Facebook page.  She didn't go to college for photography, she stays home with her girls during the days, she's super in-demand, but the most inspiring thing?  She got her first DSLR camera three.short.years-ago!  I think it's safe to say I want to be her.

Pre-teaching, I never even thought about photography as a career.  When I was a junior in high school, I decided exactly what I wanted to do with my life.  I wanted to be a pharmacist.  (Clearly that didn't pan out.)  As a result, I took a bunch of advanced classes during my senior year of high school to prepare me.  The pre-pharmacy program at college was so intense, there was no room for additional elective classes.  So never in my educational career did a take one photography class, and never did I explore photography as a career.

But now, after that workshop, I realize this is my dream job.  Or at least my 'fun' job.  Not sure it would be my 'pay the bills' job.  Now right now anyway.  But perhaps after a few years of practice??

I took some pics of my sister's little fam around Thanksgiving and took some pictures of a friend and her fiance last weekend.  She called them engagement photos, but I don't know that my amateur-ness qualifies them as true engagement pics. :)  I'm pretty happy with the results, though I will admit, I got a little freaked out about manual mode and switched it to P mode (semi-auto) more than a few times.  Here are my favorites from each session.














I had so much fun taking the photos!  I'm not the best at posing my subjects, but that's when Pinterest comes in handy!  So, who wants to be my next model??  Like I tell my students "Practice makes perfect" and I'm anxious to get there!

3 comments:

  1. Jason and I both LOVE our photos. Thank you so much for taking them. We are so happy with how they turned out. I am just about ready to post a bunch of my favorites to my blog and Facebook. We will be your test subjects anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that little one is a sweetie!! & I love his hat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah! Cute pics! And thanks for the note on the blog...I'm super excited to get to take some pictures of some other families besides my own! Maybe someday you'll be doing the same!!! :)

    ReplyDelete